If all else fails, kids generally like to eat a piece of toast so lately we have been mixing up different bread spreads to liven these up. Our favorites so far have been...
• Butter, honey (or maple syrup), and cinnamon
• Tahini and lots of sweet honey (or pekmez molasses; this is a variation on a spread that a Turkish friend taught me)
• Butter, garlic, parsley and basil from our garden. We melted this up on the stovetop and now have it ready to make up some garlic toast in the toaster oven at any time. This is great with homemade cream soups (stay tuned for those recipes too!!)
The kids enjoy the mixing up and I enjoy having something easily on hand that they want to eat. So spread the LOVE, I say!

9 comments:
Hi, hisashiburi! Risako desu.
We enjoy this too!
Have you tried 'cocoa, honey and
milk powder' already? It's so nice!
Cream cheese and orange marmalade is also delicious.
mmmmm. cream cheese and marmalade. i guess we can try paneer and marmalade??
ya, paneer or yogurt?
What is 'tahini'?
胡麻ペースト
What a fun idea. My boys love to make mixtures -- and, EAT!
I just came across this blog and it's wonderful! So many cool ideas. I can't wait till my little one is big enough to start doing crfts with. I've even begun debating with myself as to whether or not I'll allow glitter in the house.
I'm sure your Turkish friend told you the bonus of pekmez, which is that it's very iron rich? That's how I justify it's use in the rice puddings and such I make for my son. It also works really well for making gingerbread.
Looking forward to fun crafts and interesting ideas...
Stranger aka ftatatita from FWC
oh hi!
please, please DO allow glitter in your house!! you can keep the house clean once the kids are grown up. Besides, now they have glitter in the glue and it is all so easy to clean up!
Great, that was just the push I needed about the glitter-- a wonderful way to think about it (my mom had such a glitter issue! She wouldn't let me fill the mixer with flour and turn it on high speed, either), especially since I don't care very much about keeping the house clean. I have glitter (or is it shimmer?) in my skin cream so the boy always has it on him anyway... :)
Post a Comment